1.25.2011

Photo descriptions, part 2

I just realized how many photos need describing in two more posts. Oye.

Okay. Part 2 of putting words to these.

Let's begin with the yellow scaffolding. That was also early into our adventure here. There seems to be less scaffolding around to walk under, though it still surrounds every other building in town. In this photo, the guy nailing something into the 'ceiling' is not standing on a ladder. No, that is too sensible. He is standing on a saw horse, and a tall one at that. We have marveled at the attire of the construction workers here, especially footwear - regular canvas shoes. Though seeing what they must balance on while working, well, I'd rather be in canvas shoes than thick soled boots too.

Since I'm on the topic of construction, in China, the equality of the sexes extends to jobs typically held by men in the States. You see women digging ditches, hauling, well, anything, and chiseling concrete off of rebar right next to her male coworker. I sway between pride in seeing women do hard labor here, and sadness in that they do the hard labor because it's the available job. I'm fortunate to be in a position to choose my type of employment. Man, those women are tough.

Longfor is the development and management company that built, and runs, our compound (neighborhood). We have a nice green space in the middle with some huge rocks good for jumping off of, and a porch swing for enjoying the sights. As you approach the grassy area, the blue sign in the picture is shown. I love the graphics: no bikes + no scooters + no dogs + no soccer = no fun. Admire please, do not play. I should have it translated soon. I really want to know what message requires an exclamation mark.

Next down is one of my favorite hubby-taken photos ever. These are two of the groundskeepers at a large "Sports Park" near us. The emotion on their faces is extreme around these parts. I love it.

After the park: the view from below.

In the hazy picture of buildings half-built are 8 cranes. These are HUGE cranes. Each new building gets its own crane (sometimes two in the beginning stages). The crane stays with it till the end, growing with the structure until no longer needed. I have never seen so many cranes in my life. And here, also, is the ever-present scaffolding I mentioned earlier. The scaffolding on the buildings is wrapped in green mesh plastic.

But back to the cranes, some days on my way to work I try to count the cranes from the highway. Our school is in an area being developed for research and IT firms and they're building like crazy. One day I counted 31 cranes in about a mile stretch of road. That's 31 buildings! More recently, the number has grown to over 50 and we drive too fast for me to count them all. 50+. High rises. It blows my mind.

Two more pictures down is yet another scaffolded building. I know, you get it. But this one is notable for what the men on the scaffolding are doing: passing granite slabs from one to another up the scaffolding to put on the side of the building. Take a look at the size of those pieces - almost as tall as the men! That's what we use cranes for in the States. It really is 'hard' labor.

Santa has made it to China and is everywhere. However, the face of Santa is pretty much what you see in what hubby calls, "Demon Santa". This is the spray painted version of good 'ole Saint Nick. He also exists in paper, small, medium, or large. He shines. He sparkles. And he's up through February. It's like the annoying neighbor who keeps the Christmas lights until Easter (sorry to all the lights lovers who keep their Christmas lights until Easter).

One more?

Too tired. I'll pick up at the tree lights next time.

Part 3 coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment