1.24.2011

Photo descriptions, part 1

I have found something to write about - all those pictures I just posted! (see previous post) I find pictures much more exciting when the background information is with them. Instead, I'm going to make you look back and forth a bit. Sorry, but some of the stories are worth it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first picture was taken just a few days after we arrived in Chongqing. The girls and I are sitting in the fabulously huge window seat in their bedroom. As you can see, there is a splendid view of the apartments next door which are housed above our grocery store. I forgot they were that colorful. Colors tend to fade here pretty fast.

Next, also taken in those first days, shows another view from 11 floors above the city, this time looking out over 龙湖 (Dragon Lake). Behind the orange-ish buildings is the lake. Our building is considered old for Chongqing (15 years!), with the average life-expectancy of buildings hovering around 20 years. What is crazy about this view, however, is the knowledge that nothing across the lake existed 10 years ago. It was beautiful green forest and farms. That's what adding 10 million people in 10 years does to a place.

The motorcycle picture is notable for two reasons: the number of people on it, and the helmet resting between the legs of the driver. It is very common to see more than 2 people aboard a bike. Many riders work as taxis, though I haven't found out how much they charge yet. The most striking sight, though, is a passenger with a baby. They will have one arm on the driver, the other holding a baby. And I mean little babies. Kids too.
And even though the refusal to wear the extra helmet in this picture rankles me, many people do wear helmets. I have been informed that this is a new development in Chongqing, with helmets seen only in the last year or so.

To end part 1, I would like to draw your attention to the 6th picture down. This seeming random destruction is random, and very much, destruction. Many structures are labeled with the 'demolish' mark (拆), but they may be torn down while others around them stand firm. New developments are evidenced by long rows of buildings branded 拆. But as in this photo, sometimes it's as I said, random.

No comments:

Post a Comment