2.01.2011

Happy (belated) Birthday!

Yesterday I turned 30.

I mulled over writing about it from the moment I woke. This should be a momentous occasion, beginning my 4th decade. Instead, I find myself reflecting on the decade now finished. My 20s were fun, sad, hard, beautiful, and each year is marked by a change in life, and a change in me. Thus, rather than go on about how old I am, I will chronicle my so-called coming of age in 10 short bits --

20- The year of Bushisms, 9-11, and finding my calling in Biology.

21- Long distance relationship, generous friends, and a LOT of alcohol made this year happen.

22- I moved to Omaha, decried the start of the Iraq war, and discovered that a lack of conflict is not the key to happiness.

23- Leaving comfort, and finding it anew in hubby; W part 2; back to school; and finally, independence.

24- It was this year I took the great leap to Portland, with a fiance in tow. It was one of the smartest things I have ever done, aside from age 25.

25- Married my love.

26- I became a mother this year, and shortly after, a natural birthing advocate. The pain, hair-pulling, and intense love that followed HD's birth have shaped who I am, as a mother, and a human.

27- Oops - here comes #2! And, Obama!

28- My dream birth, Bachelor's in Biology, mad.momma, and a return to high school (teaching this time!).

29- What a way to end! I earned my Master's in Education, teaching license, moved to China, and had a steady income for the first time. I went from being the bread-eater to being the breadwinner.

Writing these few words, I now see how Bob Dylan filled three volumes with his memoirs. Expanding upon everything one experiences each day, month, year of life, could take an eternity. Our lives are epic; my twenties were epic! I can only imagine what I will have to add after my next 30 years.

Well, goodbye 20s. Thanks for everything!

1 comment:

  1. Happy belated birthday!

    Not that 30 isn't great, but wait till you hit 33. Friends said this to me and I just rolled my eyes. Then I hit 33 and loved every day of it.

    ReplyDelete