12.26.2009

the holidays

Happy/Merry Everything!

I have fought celebrating Christmas since I was 13. I didn't understand the necessity of buying people a ton of gifts for a day that was supposed to be honoring the birth of Jesus. my argument, to my parent's dismay, against buying presents was always, "if we are celebrating Jesus' birthday, shouldn't we be buying him gifts?"

in many ways, I still feel this about Christmas, and every year wear this shirt:


however, I also now have kids, and a husband who loves Christmas, the songs, and the togetherness it brings. I've never had a problem with the togetherness, just the notion that you must bring gifts to enjoy the togetherness.
anyway, this year, for the sake of a 2-year-old who has watched The Polar Express repeatedly and screams "Christmas" anytime lights, Santa, a tree or presents are seen, I decided to up my spirit a bit. we made a tree, hung lights, and bought some books from Goodwill and covered them in gaudy Christmas paper.
and on Christmas morning when Harper came out to the tree and saw all the presents, I was glad to have been part of what made her so happy to give up the Binky for the morning.

from our family to yours, happy whatever you celebrate! I hope it was filled with as much fun, love, and excitement as our holidays had this year.

1 comment: